Crispy Corn Fritters
1 cup self-rising flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup whole kernel corn
Fat for deep frying
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
1. Resift self-rising flour and sugar together
2. Add egg, milk and corn. Stir until blended.
3. Drop batter into fat a teaspoonful at a time.
4. Maintain fat at 350 degrees and fry fritters until golden brown, turning once with a spoon to cook evenly.
5. Remove fritters from fat and drain on coffee filters.
6. Serve piping hot on warm platter. Sprinkle fritters with confectioner’s sugar before serving.
I discovered these tasty treats back in the 1970s at a tourist attraction restaurant, The Kapok Tree Inn, in Clearwater, Florida. I was not old enough to enjoy the Planter’s Punch that was sold in the souvenir hurricane glasses at the time, and now that grenadine is made with HFCS, I doubt I ever will. These little crispy treats were so much better than any kind of bread, and with the family-style dining atmosphere the place had, I was lucky enough to find their recipe, and make an easier variation of my own. This is my gift to you, and the prep time take about fifteen minutes, and they make a great movie time snack. Be careful not to stand to close to your deep-fryer or wok when you fry these, as the moisture from the corn kernels will tend to make them pop sometimes. I have the burn marks to prove it. Good luck with your endeavors when making this classic family treat.Buffer